2009/05/21

Are you going to Ginkakuji?


Are you going to Ginkakuji?






Temples are Japanese culture. Its is said that there are 8 million temples in Japan.
Temples is like a symbol of Japan and we consider temple gardens are Japanese beauties.

Japanese people like visiting temples, not minding their religion.
Most of the Japanese people are Buddhist, but many people don't know what Buddhist stream they belong to, especially the young people.
On my case, I realized that I'm Buddhist of Jodoshinsyu stream on my grand fathers funeral. My grand father's funeral was done in Jodoshinsyu way by monks of Jodoshinsyu Temple.
Big difference is chanting. Each stream has it's own chanting.
I think this is also a characteristic of Japanese culture. We don't really mind religion.

I'm not sure if you will have a opportunity, but it is probably very interesting to see Japanese funeral for understanding Japanese culture.

Although I'm not a Buddhist of zen, I visited a Zen temple Ginkakuji.
It is famous for Its sand garden.
It is always considered a contrast of Kinkakuji because, Kinkakuji literally means "Gold Temple" and this Ginkakuji means "Silver temple"
on like Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji is not covered with silver foil.

Ginkakuji is now under complete construction.
Don't go.
It doesn't look like what it is supposed to be.

Ginkakuji Homepage
http://www.shokoku-ji.or.jp/ginkakuji/